January 12, 2018 – Rugged, stylish, robust, comfortable, fuel efficient, versatile – combining all those qualities in a single vehicle is a big challenge.
But tackling, and surmounting, big challenges is the Ram 1500 pickup truck’s specialty.
Today the world sees the results of years of FCA’s engineering, design and powertrain communities challenging themselves to create the best truck ever – the 2019 Ram 1500.
The new Ram 1500 is longer, taller and wider than the previous generation, yet it weighs nearly 225 pounds less. It can haul and tow more weight. It slips through the air with a segment-leading drag coefficient and boosts efficiency via the use of the eTorque mild-hybrid system that delivers nearly seamless start-stop operation.
Inside, the driver and passengers are coddled – whether the new Ram 1500 is configured for work duty or luxury tasks in the top-end Limited trim. The wow factor includes a 4-inch stretch in cab length, an available 12-inch Uconnect display in the center of the instrument panel and 4G wireless hotspot connectivity.
The best news: the 2019 Ram 1500 rolls into dealer showrooms this spring, produced at the retooled Sterling Heights Assembly Plant (Michigan).
“The all-new 2019 Ram 1500 delivers a no-compromise approach to the full-size truck segment with strength, durability, technology and efficiency,” said Mike Manley, Head of Ram Brand. “The Ram 1500 offers truck buyers leading-edge innovation with 225 pounds of weight reduction. The Ram 1500 stands out as the benchmark in a very competitive segment.”
Production of the Ram will also serve as a final piece in FCA Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne’s strategy to realign the U.S. operations to produce more Ram pickup trucks and Jeep vehicles.
Here are several highlights of the all-new 2019 Ram 1500:
- A new frame – the backbone of the Ram 1500 – is longer and stiffer with taller, fully boxed rails. Yet the use of high-strength steel reduces the frame weight by 100 pounds.
- Exclusive, splayed rails at the front of the frame are a highly efficient energy absorbing design for added customer protection.
- eTorque mild hybrid fitted to both 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 (305 hp) and 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 (395 hp) engines. eTorque motor generator spins the crankshaft via a belt for seamless start/stop operation, and feeds 48-volt electricity to air-cooled lithium-ion battery pack.
- Frame-mounted active tuned mass modules and Active Noise Cancellation technology in the cab expand use of fuel-saving cylinder cutoff technology on the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8.
- Heated engine coolant is used to bring the transmission fluid and engine oil up to operating temperature quickly. New for 4x2 trucks, engine coolant is routed to double-layer rear differential cover to rapidly heat rear axle lubricant.
- Taller hood, 1.5-inch taller bed rails, design elements in cab roof help smooth airflow around the 2019 Ram 1500, reducing aerodynamic drag and wind noise and helping improve fuel economy. Active front air dam extends at 35 mph to improve air flow.
- Four-inch stretch in the cab offers more room to front and rear-seat passengers.
- Redesigned second-row seats recline up to 8 degrees for enhanced comfort.
- Flat floor increases in-cab storage capabilities, including innovative RamBins.
- Redesigned center console has 12 different storage configurations. Up to 5 USB ports available, including USB-C design.
- Uconnect 8.4-inch and reconfigurable 12-inch screens available with Uconnect 4C interface. 12-inch display includes split-screen function for dual-application function. 8.4-inch and 12-inch screens link with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
- Electronic latch for the aluminum tailgate enables lowering the gate via a button in the cab or on the key fob. The tailgate integrates dampened opening and lift assist closing features.
- Ram 1500 offers more than 100 safety and security features. Lineup includes Blind spot monitors with Trailer coverage, Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop, Go and Hold; Forward Collision Warning-Plus; Ready Alert Braking and Trailer-sway Damping; LaneSense Lane Departure Warning-Plus; and ParkSense Parallel/Perpendicular Park and Hill-start Assist.
While this hits the highlights, there are plenty more innovations under the skin, under the hood and inside the doors (and RamBox) of the 2019 Ram 1500. For more information, visit www.ramtrucks.com.